Skip to main content

ADGA Registrable Saanen Goats For Sale

(All are sold, this post is for reference only.)

Well, I'm selling Nelly, and two of her triplets.


I've owned Nelly for almost two years, and she has been a good milk goat, wonderful mother, and excellent "teaching goat", that is, I've taught my siblings how to milk, and given lessons to several other people, both adults and children, using her.  She doesn't mind other people milking her as much as Mabel, who will kick a little when an inexperienced or underconfident person milks her.    Here is a video of me milking Nelly.


In the video, she had been in milk about 6 months, if I recall correctly.  Her udder is perfectly even, very soft, and easy to milk, especially if you have small hands, as her teats are a little small.





Nelly is about 4 years old and has had 8 kids before:  twin doelings in her first kidding, triplet doelings in her second, and now triplets again, 2 doelings and one buckling.  I have pictures of every one of her kids on my blog here, just go to the posts labeled "Goats" and scroll through.  She has never had a problem kidding that I know of.  In fact, both times she's kidded since I have owned her, she has done so without anybody with her.  The last time was a very fast labor- I went in from doing chores and checking on her at about 10:30, came out at 1:00 to feed her a treat and check on her, and there were three kids with her.
  To be sure, Nelly is far from perfect.  She does kick occasionally on the milk stand, and is bossy with the other goats.  Thankfully she has never challenged me or any other person that I know of, though she will occasionally test the boundaries, and will challenge Kep.  She is not a picky eater (usually), and isn't sneaky like Mabel.  If she does something bad, she does it out in the open, instead of waiting until my back is turned and then making mischief.  She also doesn't test fences or gates.  Overall, she is a good goat, if you don't mind that she is independent and doesn't like to be scratched, and you're set up to handle a goat with horns.  I'm not, because I only have one stall, which Nelly controls.  She has never actually injured any of the other goats that I know of, but since they don't have horns, and she does, I don't want her in my herd any more. Her horns are blunted, but can still be dangerous to the other goats.  I'm thankful to have owned her, especially during the times when she was our sole source of milk, but it's time for her to move on.

She is tested CAE negative.

I'm also selling two of her recent triplets: the buckling, and the smaller doeling, Juliet.  I was planning to keep both doelings, but then I discovered that they both have supernumerary teats, that is, extras.  Below is a photo of Juliet's.  She has two very small extra teats, and Agnes, the doeling I'm temporarily keeping, has one.  Other than the teat issues, these are beautiful doelings.  The buckling (Charlemagne) is normal.  The extra teats may be no big deal.  They very likely are "blind" teats, and don't have a milk canal or lead to an extra quarter in the udder.  If so, after this has been confirmed, they can be easily removed by tying a thread around them.
The buckling is a strong and correctly built little guy.  He is growing fast, is very curious, and always ready for a romp with his sisters, especially Juliet, who is always bouncing and skipping all over they place.
The kids are being raised on partially on the bottle, partially with Nelly, and will be fed as much milk as they can hold without getting sick, so they should grow very fast, and be big, strong, healthy kids.
I will hold them until they are about 8 weeks old, when they can be weaned if necessary, but it is best if they are bottle fed until they are at least 12 weeks.
They will make wonderful pets, even if they are not good for breeding.  They have been handled a lot from within a few minutes of birth, and are already learning that people are friends.  If you want the buckling for a pet though, he will need to be wethered (castrated).  I will do this for free, if so desired.

I have already disbudded the kids at 2 days of age, so they will not get horns.  They have recovered very well from the stress of the ordeal.

The sire of these kids is a beautiful American Saanen buck, from good lines.  He is a *Buck, (star buck).  Stars are based on milk production, and there are several different ways to earn them, but he has lots of *bucks and *does in his pedigree (click this link for his pedigree).  For some reason, on the ADGA genetics website the stars don't show up, but I saw the printed version of his pedigree and they are all over it.

The kids are grade, because Nelly was recorded as NOA (native on appearance) with the ADGA.  I will give papers with the kids.  If you want me to register them, I will do so for an extra fee to cover registration costs.  

Basic info about the kids:
D.O.B. is Jan. 30th, 2014
Sire is The Tanglewood III Red Baron
Dam is The Honey 'n' Cream Nelly

And now for some pictures...

The Tanglewood III Red Baron and Nelly.
 The Baron seemed very good tempered for a buck.  He was not aggressive toward Daddy or me when Nelly was bred, even when we led her out of the pen.






Juliet in the front, Charlemagne in the back.

Juliet butting her brother.


This is the buckling, "Charlemagne".

William with the triplets (Charlemagne in front, Agnes in middle (with head raised), Juliet in rear).

Left to right:  Charlemagne, Agnes, Juliet.

Juliet far right.  You can really see her nice topline in this photo.

Juliet again.

And again.

Charlemagne.


Here you can see the extra teats, right in front of the bigger (normal) ones.
Juliet left, Charlemagne right.

The prices I am asking are for pet-quality kids, and reflect the teat issues, which may be hereditary.  I will wether the buckling for free, if so desired.

I will hold them with a deposit until the kids are 8 weeks old, or sell as bottle babies.  Nelly is in milk (of course).  I'm not sure exactly how much she is giving right now, as we have only milked her one time, and the kids had been with her all night, but in the past she has given about 3 quarts a day for a couple of months, and then leveled off to about half a gallon.  She would probably give significantly more if she was fed grain.
Please contact me via text @ 352-seven four five-3576, or call 386-three one six-4844, or email chickenscrapsblog@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvelous Seeds- Natural Dewormer for Dogs and Others

Naturally de-worming animals can be challenging, and some people will say that you are just better off going with the chemicals.  There are several problems with chemical wormers however.  You see, a chemical wormer is actually a poison, which is fed to the animal in large enough doses to kill, or expel the worms, but in small enough amounts that it hopefully will not injure the animal.  Trouble is, worms have an ability to build up resistance to the chemical poisons used in these wormers.  For example:  A few years ago, when I first started with dairy goats, I had major trouble with worms.  In fact, I lost quite a few goats to them.  I tried using the chemical wormers- SafeGuard (at 4 times the dosage for horses, for 3 days straight), and Ivermectin.  The goats' hair remained curly (a sign of a heavy worm load), and their gums and eyelids were pale.  Finally, most of them died- including three beautiful purebred, registrable Nubians.  I was heartbroken.      Several years later,

Natural cure (and prevention) for foot rot in goats and other animals

Several years ago, I began learning about the benefits of copper as a supplement.  I learned that it is actually a necessary mineral for goats, cows and sheep, and is best absorbed in sulphate form.      What prompted the research was a case of foot rot in one of my goats.  I was unaware that it was foot rot until someone diagnosed it for me over the phone.  I had noticed that his foot had been swollen for a couple days, but didn't pay much attention to it, thinking that a bug might have bitten or stung him.  After about three days from the time that I initially noticed the swelling he was limping badly.  I mentioned this to a man who was interested in buying him, and he said that it might be foot rot.  He said to check and see if it smelled bad, and that if so, it was probably foot rot.      I checked, and sure enough there was a strong putrid smell to it.  So I started researching  a natural, and speedy, cure for foot rot online.  There was very little information to be found

Puppies For Sale!

Looking for a good family dog?  Need one who will be friendly with your animals?  We are offering Inez's puppies for sale/adoption to good homes.  As stated in other places on this blog, the sire is a beautiful, purebred Chocolate lab who lives near us.      Inez is a full-blooded Great Pyrenees.  We used to lose chickens to the many predators which live all around us (foxes, raccoons, opossums, hawks, and coyotes, etc.)  But since we got her, we have lost hardly any poultry at all.  In fact, we no longer even need to shut or lock the coop door at night.  (Note:  We do not guarantee that the puppies will be as good at protecting as she is- simply that they come from a dog who is excellent at it.)  She is also super sweet to people and our farm animals.  She is gentle, and enjoys being petted, and although she is slightly reserved with strangers, she has never been at all aggressive.  Little children love her, and she loves them and is sweet and gentle.    The puppies wi