Skip to main content

My dairy goat journey...

I love my dairy goats.  My herd is quite small, but learning to manage them so that they stay healthy has been difficult.  To begin with, I didn't know anyone who owned dairy goats, and the only information I'd ever read about management of them didn't say a word about de-worming.  So I lost most of my first herd, due to lack of knowledge.

     That was several years ago.  I bought Mabel in June, 2011.





 That first year was still a struggle to keep her healthy, because I didn't want to feed the commercially mixed grain, or the chemical de-wormer, and wasn't yet serious enough about feeding proper minerals.  She was constantly getting wormy, which made her coat coarse, and she lost weight.  Finally though, I tried the Hoegger herbal wormer, and it worked!  From then on, whenever a goat looks a bit wormy, I give her a treatment of this wormer, and that takes care of the problem.  There is no milk/ meat withdrawal time, and it is safe to use, even in high doses.

     I also got serious about reading Pat Coleby's Natural Goat Care , and applying the methods, and proper nutrition explained and advised in the book.  I highly recommend this book to anyone considering getting goats, to anyone who already has goats, and especially to those who want to raise their goats naturally.  Coleby raised goats for decades in Australia, and she has some really amazing stories about how minerals, vitamins, and overall proper nutrition kept her goats healthy, healed them when they did get sick, and even cured other people's goats.

     Based on what she advises, my goats now receive 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of copper sulphate each morning, 3-4 teaspoons of dolomite and 1 teaspoon of sulphur at night.  The copper is an extremely necessary nutrient, especially for dark-colored goats, and helps to prevent auto-immune diseases (such as CAE) and keeps parasites at bay.  (Warning:  Do not feed copper without dolomite!) The dolomite is a balanced mixture of calcium and magnesium, both of which are also very important for bone growth, brain health, mastitis prevention, and many other conditions.  The sulphur provides amino acids, and helps keep external parasites off the goats, and has other functions as well.  Of course, these minerals are important for humans and other animals as well, and are passed on to us and our milk-drinking animals through the milk.

      I put the minerals in the oats which are the only grain I feed my goats.  They get a small amount morning and night when they are milked.  The morning ration is actually soaked to release the phytic acid- I mix the grain with water, copper sulphate, and apple cider vinegar, and I make up enough to last for a week or so.  The vinegar and copper keep it from spoiling.  The raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar also is an important supplement, providing potassium in a completely safe, and very palatable (to the goats!) form.  They also have free-choice kelp, baking soda and Himalayan rock salt.


     Finally Mabel was looking better.  Her coat became soft and shiny, and she put on a little weight.  But we dried her off because I thought she would be kidding soon (though it later turned out she wasn't bred).  Then, just as our cow, Blossom, who was our only milk source was also about dry, I found and bought Nelly, a Saanen doe, and her two doelings.

We sold one of the doelings, but kept the other, whom we named Heidi.  Nelly is a bit stand-offish in the pasture, and doesn't delight in being scratched and petted like the other goats, but on the milk stand she is usually impeccable, and her milk is some of the best I've ever tasted.  (My father says that it is the best he's ever had- and even my brother (who doesn't like goats) admits that it is good.)

     Then a buck and a doe were given to me- the buck, Ritz is a fullblooded LaMancha, and the doe, Violet, is a LaMancha/ Nubian cross.

     Their previous owner didn't know about the importance of worming, and it's a good thing they came to me when they did.  Both were underweight, especially Ritz, and were very wormy.  I am still working on getting them completely healthy, but they've come a long way.

Violet resting by the gate (probably wishing she could get out- grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!)

Violet has a very soft and easy to milk udder.  She recently came in milk, although she didn't kid, and is currently giving about 3 cups per day (one milking).





She is Ritz's daughter.




Ritz.



     Finally, there is Old Heidi.  She is the most recent addition to my herd, and is an older Boer/ Alpine mix, and is certainly not the most beautiful goat ever seen.  She produces lots of milk though, and the buck kids should also be good for meat.

Old Heidi (behind Mabel, who was jealous, and so kept between me and O.H.)

Young Heidi checking out Old Heidi.




     My goal all along has been to start a small dairy, since most of the milk for my family comes from the cow.  Now, finally I am in the position to begin selling milk.  I will have limited amounts available beginning, hopefully, in early August.  Prices are given for the milk and kefir on my "For Sale" page.

     I hope that this record of my "goat journey", which is still continuing, will be an encouragement to someone.  Goats are fun and loving animals, and I hope that I always have them.

Comments

  1. Just came across your blog and wanted to comment on the photo of Nelly and her doelings.....what a beautiful picture! Don't think it could have been more lovely if it had been posed! Think this is the first time I have seen a Saanen with horns. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the information you shared here, Alayna. I am new to goats but want to raise them as naturally as possible. I LOVE your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I love it when you leave comments on my posts, but they will be moderated since this is a public blog and I do not know who will be reading it. I request that only decent, ordinary English be used in comments, as I do not really understand other languages, and do not wish to read slang or strong language.

"Let no unclean communication proceed out of your mouth" Eph. 4:29

Feel free to ask questions, and I will answer them to the best of my ability, and post the questions and answers on here to be a help to others.

Thank you! I am looking forward to hearing from my readers!

Popular posts from this blog

Marvelous Seeds- Natural Dewormer for Dogs and Others

Naturally de-worming animals can be challenging, and some people will say that you are just better off going with the chemicals.  There are several problems with chemical wormers however.  You see, a chemical wormer is actually a poison, which is fed to the animal in large enough doses to kill, or expel the worms, but in small enough amounts that it hopefully will not injure the animal.  Trouble is, worms have an ability to build up resistance to the chemical poisons used in these wormers.  For example:  A few years ago, when I first started with dairy goats, I had major trouble with worms.  In fact, I lost quite a few goats to them.  I tried using the chemical wormers- SafeGuard (at 4 times the dosage for horses, for 3 days straight), and Ivermectin.  The goats' hair remained curly (a sign of a heavy worm load), and their gums and eyelids were pale.  Finally, most of them died- including three beautiful purebred, registrable Nubians.  I was heartbroken.      Several years later,

Natural cure (and prevention) for foot rot in goats and other animals

Several years ago, I began learning about the benefits of copper as a supplement.  I learned that it is actually a necessary mineral for goats, cows and sheep, and is best absorbed in sulphate form.      What prompted the research was a case of foot rot in one of my goats.  I was unaware that it was foot rot until someone diagnosed it for me over the phone.  I had noticed that his foot had been swollen for a couple days, but didn't pay much attention to it, thinking that a bug might have bitten or stung him.  After about three days from the time that I initially noticed the swelling he was limping badly.  I mentioned this to a man who was interested in buying him, and he said that it might be foot rot.  He said to check and see if it smelled bad, and that if so, it was probably foot rot.      I checked, and sure enough there was a strong putrid smell to it.  So I started researching  a natural, and speedy, cure for foot rot online.  There was very little information to be found

Doberman/ Heeler Puppies

More pictures/ info on my Border Collie website. sandspurranchbcs.weebly.com Handling/ training video below. Gorgeous Doberman mix puppies needing good homes!  Only 1 male left.  Mother is registered Doberman, sire appears to be a Red Heeler.  Though they are not of my breeding, these pups are being raised just the same way I raise my registered Border Collies, with lots of handling (especially by children), on a grain free diet, and in a natural, structured setting outdoors with lots of other animals. Please email, call or text me if you are interested in one of these pups. 352-745-3576 chickenscrapsblog@gmail.com Males:  $325 Anhalt: *Sold to Cynthia* Watchful, quiet. Brunswick: *Sold to TJ* Hanover: Available Bouncy, determined, fearless. Luxembourg: *Sold to Donna* Super friendly, loving, submissive Prussia: *Sold to Michelle* Friendly, loves attention. Saxson: *Sold to Steve* Females:  $350 Austria: *Sol