Skip to main content

Puppy Report Card: 5 1/2 Months

 (I'm not completely finished with this post, but didn't want to delay any longer.  I will hopefully get the rest of the info I need within the next few days and will then update it.)


 Lately I've been texting and making calls, checking on the puppies from the last litter.  They are now 5 1/2 months old, and are doing very well.





     The one exception is Ira, who went to some friends of ours near Gainesville, and has acquired a taste for fresh chicken.  She is a very sweet, easily trained puppy, and is not vicious or bloodthirsty at all, but the training was left to the older children, who kind of lost interest after a couple weeks.  I think the chicken killing was purely a training issue- any puppy will naturally chase chickens, and if they accidentally kill one and discover it tastes pretty good, then you will have a problem.  That is what happened with her, and unfortunately she had to find a new home where there are no free-ranging chickens.  She is now installed as family pet to a new family, who will love her and care for her in a situation where hopefully she won't be tempted to eat someone's poultry.

Ira



Bell
     Bell (now Blizzard) is the white puppy in the photo above.  She went to Mr. B. near Daytona Beach.  She was my little sister's favorite puppy of the litter, and we all liked her a lot.  Below is some of my correspondence with Mr. B.


Me:   "Hello Mr. B. This is Alayna Feldman (I bred and sold you your Great Pyrenees/ Lab puppy).   I just wanted to check and see how she is doing."
Mr. B:  "She's great easiest pup I ever house trained 2 days, gets her last shots n spayed tue if you can get pic on phone I can send one."

(Current photo of Blizzard)

Me:  "Wonderful! I'm so glad she's doing so well. Did you keep her name (Bell)? Just curious. She's beautiful, thank you for the picture."
Mr. B:  " No I named her Blizzard,call her Blizz! Thanks for checkin' on her she's great!!"

  
Abby
(Abby on top)

     Abby went to a family in the Debary area.  In the first photo she is the middle puppy on the right.
Me:  "Good morning Mrs. D! This is Alayna Feldman. (I bred and sold you your dog Abby.) I just wanted to check in and see how she is doing. Thank you! Alayna"
Mrs. M:  "She is so good and really smart. We love her so much."
(This is the photo she sent me.)

Me:  "I'm so glad she's such a good dog. Thank you for the update."
...
Me:  "She's really pretty.  Thank you for sending!"
Mrs. D:  "Oh you're welcome.  I'm so glad we got her."



Zero

Zero went to a family near Daytona, where he is greatly loved, especially by their young son, who is deaf.
(Zero as a puppy.  I don't have a current picture of him (technical difficulties).
 Me:  "Hi Mrs. G, this is Alayna Feldman. I bred and sold your dog Zero. I just wanted to check in and see how he's doing. Thank you for the pictures you've sent occasionally."
Mrs. G:  "He is wonderful!!! We love him very much. He is such a great dog and listens well."
Me:  "Great!  I'm so glad he's a good dog!"


(Zero on the right.)
Kong on top of Emaline, Zero underneath.  (I love this photo- we were trying to get a good one of Emaline holding Zero, and Kong jumped up on her back and knocked her over, then started chewing on her hair, much to her delight!)

(Left: Kong, right: Zero)




Kong

(Kong at about 6 1/2 weeks old.)
 Kong was the largest puppy in the litter.  He went to a family in the Ormond area.  They are close relations to Zero's family, and are the ones who told them about the last puppy in our litter- Zero!  They have frequent get-togethers where the puppies can meet and play with each other.  From day 1 they took the time necessary to train Kong, and it's paying off.

Me:  "Hi Mrs. G! This is Alayna Feldman (I bred and sold you Kong). Thank you so much for those photos you sent a week or two ago... Also, what commands does he know?"
Mrs. G:   "He knows sit, speak, down, up, wait(stay), car, walk, not yours- if he has something that's he is not supposed to, he will drop it if I say not yours..lol, and out."
Me: " Wow! You must have done a really good job working with him consistently! It's very encouraging to hear how well he is doing."
Mrs. G:  " He is a very smart and spoiled dog!! And was very easy to train..He is everywhere I am..lol we r starting obedience class next month for more advance thingI'm excited about that =)"
 Me:   "That's wonderful that you're starting obedience training! Let me know how he does... I'm sure he'll be wonderful!"
Mrs. G "I'm sure he will be..I'm excited..I want to be able to take him places and him stay by my side with a leash, so that's my goal.. and I will most definitely let you know how he does =)"

Kong in red collar, Zero in blue.

Big boy...






Lucy


Lucy was one of my favorite puppies from the litter (but then, they all were :) )
She went to my mother's brother near DeLand.  Below is some of my correspondence with him.
I'm still working on getting a photo of her.  I think that since he's still in school and very busy, she hasn't had as much training done as needs to happen, but it sounds like she'll be a great dog once the training issues get worked out.  We met her around Christmastime, and she is downright beautiful, and very sweet.

Me:  "Hi W,
I am checking on all the puppies from Lucy's litter, and wanted to know how she's doing.  Is she still trying to chase cars?  (If she is, it could be a lack of exercise/ boredom issue.)  What commands does she know (come, down, sit, etc).  Please let me know!  Hope you are all doing well.
Thank you,
Alayna"

W.  "Hey Alayna,
Yes she is still chasing cars, I think she's just bored and she wants to do something exciting. I've taught her to come when I call her and lately I've been attempting to leash train her. She wasn't all too happy about it at first but after awhile she realizes that the leash isn't trying to hurt her. 
W."




"Feldman Family Farm Hunter"

This puppy went to a farm not too far away from us.  I have met her owners occasionally, and they did tell me her new name, but I cannot remember it... maybe I need some Ginko tea or something!  Anyway, when I last talked to them, it sounded like she was settling in very well with their animals and other dog.  She needed a little more consistent obedience training, but was doing quite well overall.  I'm going to try to contact them ASAP and will post their comments about her here, along with a photo if I can get one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvelous Seeds- Natural Dewormer for Dogs and Others

Naturally de-worming animals can be challenging, and some people will say that you are just better off going with the chemicals.  There are several problems with chemical wormers however.  You see, a chemical wormer is actually a poison, which is fed to the animal in large enough doses to kill, or expel the worms, but in small enough amounts that it hopefully will not injure the animal.  Trouble is, worms have an ability to build up resistance to the chemical poisons used in these wormers.  For example:  A few years ago, when I first started with dairy goats, I had major trouble with worms.  In fact, I lost quite a few goats to them.  I tried using the chemical wormers- SafeGuard (at 4 times the dosage for horses, for 3 days straight), and Ivermectin.  The goats' hair remained curly (a sign of a heavy worm load), and their gums and eyelids were pale.  Finally, most of them died- including three beautiful purebred, registrable Nubians.  I was heartbroken.      Several years later,

Natural cure (and prevention) for foot rot in goats and other animals

Several years ago, I began learning about the benefits of copper as a supplement.  I learned that it is actually a necessary mineral for goats, cows and sheep, and is best absorbed in sulphate form.      What prompted the research was a case of foot rot in one of my goats.  I was unaware that it was foot rot until someone diagnosed it for me over the phone.  I had noticed that his foot had been swollen for a couple days, but didn't pay much attention to it, thinking that a bug might have bitten or stung him.  After about three days from the time that I initially noticed the swelling he was limping badly.  I mentioned this to a man who was interested in buying him, and he said that it might be foot rot.  He said to check and see if it smelled bad, and that if so, it was probably foot rot.      I checked, and sure enough there was a strong putrid smell to it.  So I started researching  a natural, and speedy, cure for foot rot online.  There was very little information to be found

Doberman/ Heeler Puppies

More pictures/ info on my Border Collie website. sandspurranchbcs.weebly.com Handling/ training video below. Gorgeous Doberman mix puppies needing good homes!  Only 1 male left.  Mother is registered Doberman, sire appears to be a Red Heeler.  Though they are not of my breeding, these pups are being raised just the same way I raise my registered Border Collies, with lots of handling (especially by children), on a grain free diet, and in a natural, structured setting outdoors with lots of other animals. Please email, call or text me if you are interested in one of these pups. 352-745-3576 chickenscrapsblog@gmail.com Males:  $325 Anhalt: *Sold to Cynthia* Watchful, quiet. Brunswick: *Sold to TJ* Hanover: Available Bouncy, determined, fearless. Luxembourg: *Sold to Donna* Super friendly, loving, submissive Prussia: *Sold to Michelle* Friendly, loves attention. Saxson: *Sold to Steve* Females:  $350 Austria: *Sol