Skip to main content

Another Day With The Goats Pt. 1... Pre-kidding Check Video

So I'm going to try to do a little video series, titled "Another Day With The Goats", showing the day-to-day goat care here at our farm.  I'm beginning with Nelly, as she had kids just a few days ago, and I have documented everything I could.  Unfortunately, I missed the birth as her labor was much quicker than I anticipated.  Below is the first video, in which I show LilyAnn and William the signs of impending labor, and we go through my kidding kit.

There are several signs of labor that most, not all, goats display shortly before kidding.

1.  Ligaments near the tail head loosen and eventually "disappear".
To find the ligaments (please forgive me, in the video I accidentally called them tendons), place your thumb and forefinger on either side of the goat's spine and slide them down toward the tail head, pressing firmly.  You should feel two hard things, like pencils, just above the tail head (where the tail joins the spine).  These are usually hard and firm, but shortly before kidding they will loosen and "disappear", or become hard to find.  When my first doe kidded, I had trouble determining if the ligaments were "gone", because I could still feel them, but had to search around a bit.  If you can feel the ligaments, but aren't sure if they're gone, then they likely are.  Feel her several times a day for a while, and you will be able to feel the difference when they go.  Every goat is different, and some "lose" the ligaments repeatedly before kidding.  (My rascally Mabel did this.)

2.  Udder fills and becomes tightly distended.
Usually a doe will "bag up", that is, her udder will develop and partially fill with milk, some time before kidding.  But within 24 to 48 hours of birth it will usually become tight and hard.  It may have a shiny look, due to the skin being tightly stretched.  Not all that tightness is from milk, although some of it is.  A good bit is from edema, which is retained water causing the tissues to swell.
Some does do not bag up until a few hours before kidding, and some even wait until afterwards.  Occasionally a doe will not come into milk at all, and this is a sign of trouble.  Carefully evaluate her health.

3.  Vulva becomes swollen and soft.
I don't think this one needs much explanation.  :)  A quick check back there a couple times a day is all that's needed.  You may see a difference before kidding, and she will likely drip clear or whitish fluid.  Blood or green fluid is not normal, get veterinary advice.


Does may exhibit any, all, or none of these signs prior to kidding.  A change in usual behavior and going off feed are both signs that labor may be beginning.  Overall, it's just best to know your doe, and watch her carefully.

Now, enjoy the video!   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvelous Seeds- Natural Dewormer for Dogs and Others

Naturally de-worming animals can be challenging, and some people will say that you are just better off going with the chemicals.  There are several problems with chemical wormers however.  You see, a chemical wormer is actually a poison, which is fed to the animal in large enough doses to kill, or expel the worms, but in small enough amounts that it hopefully will not injure the animal.  Trouble is, worms have an ability to build up resistance to the chemical poisons used in these wormers.  For example:  A few years ago, when I first started with dairy goats, I had major trouble with worms.  In fact, I lost quite a few goats to them.  I tried using the chemical wormers- SafeGuard (at 4 times the dosage for horses, for 3 days straight), and Ivermectin.  The goats' hair remained curly (a sign of a heavy worm load), and their gums and eyelids were pale.  Finally, most of them died- including three beautiful purebred, registrable Nubians.  I was heartbroken.      Several years later,

Natural cure (and prevention) for foot rot in goats and other animals

Several years ago, I began learning about the benefits of copper as a supplement.  I learned that it is actually a necessary mineral for goats, cows and sheep, and is best absorbed in sulphate form.      What prompted the research was a case of foot rot in one of my goats.  I was unaware that it was foot rot until someone diagnosed it for me over the phone.  I had noticed that his foot had been swollen for a couple days, but didn't pay much attention to it, thinking that a bug might have bitten or stung him.  After about three days from the time that I initially noticed the swelling he was limping badly.  I mentioned this to a man who was interested in buying him, and he said that it might be foot rot.  He said to check and see if it smelled bad, and that if so, it was probably foot rot.      I checked, and sure enough there was a strong putrid smell to it.  So I started researching  a natural, and speedy, cure for foot rot online.  There was very little information to be found

Doberman/ Heeler Puppies

More pictures/ info on my Border Collie website. sandspurranchbcs.weebly.com Handling/ training video below. Gorgeous Doberman mix puppies needing good homes!  Only 1 male left.  Mother is registered Doberman, sire appears to be a Red Heeler.  Though they are not of my breeding, these pups are being raised just the same way I raise my registered Border Collies, with lots of handling (especially by children), on a grain free diet, and in a natural, structured setting outdoors with lots of other animals. Please email, call or text me if you are interested in one of these pups. 352-745-3576 chickenscrapsblog@gmail.com Males:  $325 Anhalt: *Sold to Cynthia* Watchful, quiet. Brunswick: *Sold to TJ* Hanover: Available Bouncy, determined, fearless. Luxembourg: *Sold to Donna* Super friendly, loving, submissive Prussia: *Sold to Michelle* Friendly, loves attention. Saxson: *Sold to Steve* Females:  $350 Austria: *Sol