Skip to main content

February (and some of March) here on the Sandspur Ranch

For those who are interested, here is a pictorial, high-speed description of the month of February.


I got to experience what having a pack of four high-energy dogs is like when I "puppysat" a couple of my sister-in-law's Aussies.
(They are great dogs!  palacepupsaussies.weebly.com)


Anna-Frances enjoyed it too.

 Frankie loves to wear this colander...


We decided to sell Pansy, due to our old enemy, lack of grass.
(Asking $1,700)


A picture of Fenella's sire...  I think he becomes more beautiful every year!
(Contact me if you are interested in using him for stud, and I will put you in contact with the owner.)


We are planning to keep Bayberry - yay!

Waiting for Buttercup to calve..


And it's another heifer:  Hurrah!
But we must sell her.  :(
$1,500


Buttercup is always willing to give a milking lesson...



Cleone discovered that mulch is a cool, damp place to take a siesta in...

"What on earth is that?"

And began learning about puppies...

"I love it!"
And now she is Flossy's best friend. 


I had the privilege of spending a day over at Shepherd's Hill Farm, in Lake City.  It was a lot of fun spending time with our friends and church family up there!


Bottle feeding Flossy...  This will be the best socialized dog on the planet!



Flossy's markings betray her parentage...



The dogs take a refresher course in leaving chicks alone.


Frieda decided that she likes to sleep on the hay bale...  But the cows don't want to eat her bed after she's slept in it for a while, so I need to figure out a way to cure her of this lovely habit.


Anna-Frances is always game to try new things; especially if it's difficult and she is too young for the job!  She actually did a very good job flipping and removing pancakes from the griddle, even though she's only three!


I decided to start selling one of my favorite skirts:  the Paneled Riding Skirt


Liberty took singing lessons...



Emaline learned to milk (video).


Duncan and Flossy got baths on the same day.



I did not cry over spilt milk...  I fed it to the dogs!


Our plum trees finally blossomed!


Frankie watered the garden...
and himself!



One happy little singin' cowpoke...


I borrowed a tiny Nigerian buck to breed my big Saanen doe.  Hopefully it worked!


And we finally cross fenced part of the front pasture.  Yippee!
I had lots of help from Bo, William and Justice.


Justice checked the height of the posts and leveled all of them.


Stretching the fence.


Russell desperately wanted to hammer in a t-post, so I got one down to his level and let him pound it.  He took it very seriously!


"My humans call this a mineral feeder, but it's really my hotel room while I'm banished from the front pasture..."


Swiss chard, carrots and turnips from the garden.  Yum!


Pasture raised broilers.  (Yum!)  :)


That's it for now!  Come back later!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvelous Seeds- Natural Dewormer for Dogs and Others

Naturally de-worming animals can be challenging, and some people will say that you are just better off going with the chemicals.  There are several problems with chemical wormers however.  You see, a chemical wormer is actually a poison, which is fed to the animal in large enough doses to kill, or expel the worms, but in small enough amounts that it hopefully will not injure the animal.  Trouble is, worms have an ability to build up resistance to the chemical poisons used in these wormers.  For example:  A few years ago, when I first started with dairy goats, I had major trouble with worms.  In fact, I lost quite a few goats to them.  I tried using the chemical wormers- SafeGuard (at 4 times the dosage for horses, for 3 days straight), and Ivermectin.  The goats' hair remained curly (a sign of a heavy worm load), and their gums and eyelids were pale.  Finally, most of them died- including three beautiful purebred, registrable Nubians.  I was heartbroken.      Several years later,

Natural cure (and prevention) for foot rot in goats and other animals

Several years ago, I began learning about the benefits of copper as a supplement.  I learned that it is actually a necessary mineral for goats, cows and sheep, and is best absorbed in sulphate form.      What prompted the research was a case of foot rot in one of my goats.  I was unaware that it was foot rot until someone diagnosed it for me over the phone.  I had noticed that his foot had been swollen for a couple days, but didn't pay much attention to it, thinking that a bug might have bitten or stung him.  After about three days from the time that I initially noticed the swelling he was limping badly.  I mentioned this to a man who was interested in buying him, and he said that it might be foot rot.  He said to check and see if it smelled bad, and that if so, it was probably foot rot.      I checked, and sure enough there was a strong putrid smell to it.  So I started researching  a natural, and speedy, cure for foot rot online.  There was very little information to be found

Doberman/ Heeler Puppies

More pictures/ info on my Border Collie website. sandspurranchbcs.weebly.com Handling/ training video below. Gorgeous Doberman mix puppies needing good homes!  Only 1 male left.  Mother is registered Doberman, sire appears to be a Red Heeler.  Though they are not of my breeding, these pups are being raised just the same way I raise my registered Border Collies, with lots of handling (especially by children), on a grain free diet, and in a natural, structured setting outdoors with lots of other animals. Please email, call or text me if you are interested in one of these pups. 352-745-3576 chickenscrapsblog@gmail.com Males:  $325 Anhalt: *Sold to Cynthia* Watchful, quiet. Brunswick: *Sold to TJ* Hanover: Available Bouncy, determined, fearless. Luxembourg: *Sold to Donna* Super friendly, loving, submissive Prussia: *Sold to Michelle* Friendly, loves attention. Saxson: *Sold to Steve* Females:  $350 Austria: *Sol