Skip to main content

They're Here! Holly and Jolly, Mabel's Kids


Update:  Both kids have been sold.


Jolly,  buckling


Holly- Doeling (Sold)





4:30 AM, December 19th.  My alarm woke me up with its insistent chiming.  I hastily silenced it, then jumped out of bed.  After dressing, I stepped out the back door to go check on Mabel, who was due to kid several days before.  As I walked to the electrical outlet near the pump to turn on the barn lights (which was Christmas lights we had strung around the stall), I heard Mabel bleating, grunting, and "talking" in the barn.  Right away I knew something was different.  That was not her usual long-drawn "Maaaaaw!"  I called to her and ran.  (I know that may sound a little silly, but I wanted to make sure she wasn't having complications or something.)
     She kept on "talking" and grunting.  I had to run around to the far side of the stall to see into it.  Needless to say, I was on pins and needles, even though it took only a few seconds.  I reached the door and looked in.



     There lay two beautiful little kids- one of them obviously only a few minutes old.

     I ran to wake up the other girls, and told them the good news.  Savana (who had woken up earlier when my alarm went off) helped me dry the kids, and make sure they got their first bottle of milk.

     Later, I weighed them, and took some pictures.

Close-up of Holly.  (Photo credit:  Savana Feldman)



(Left to right:  Mabel, Jolly, Holly, Nelly.)
Nelly just recovered from the stress of having her kids taken away from her, so she is very interested in these.  She's been very gentle with them so far, but I'm going to keep them separate from her until I get her tested for CAE.  (The reason I'm testing her is NOT because I think she has it, but because it is so widespread, I don't want to risk transmitting it to Mabel's kids until I know for sure about Nelly.)


     Mabel is doing very well on her milk production.  She had a serious problem when she first kidded due to a blocked teat causing a large amount of milk to build up on the right side of her udder.  The vet wasn't able to get out here for a couple days, but eventually did and fixed the problem with a minor surgery, so the teat now works fine.  However, during the time when that side was extremely tight and uncomfortable due to all the milk, that half of the udder got the message to stop producing, so she is giving very little on that side, though it is slowly coming up.  All of which to say:  the left side is producing about 1/2 gallon per day, and total she is giving around 10 cups.  So, if both sides were in equal production she would be giving about a gallon a day, maybe a little more.  I feed hardly any grain (oats only), so she is eating mostly alfalfa, with some beet pulp as well.  I am extremely pleased with how much she's giving.


     And now for some info about the kids:

 Sire:  Ritz  

     Dam:  Mabel  (ADGA ID:  AN1533374)  CAE status:  Negative (clear), tested Dec. 18th, 2012
Mabel as a first-freshener.


     DOB:  December 19th, 2012.

 Buckling weight at birth:  8lbs, 2oz.

  Doeling weight at birth:  6lbs, 1oz.

    Buckling price:  $150
(Jolly- buckling.)

     Doeling price:  $200  (Sold)

(Holly- doeling.)

     I have disbudded them, so they will not have horns.  They are being raised on a bottle and also on their mother.  Both parents are good tempered.  I can wether the buckling (" Jolly") for free if so desired*.  They are not registrable, but I will draw up a pedigree/ bill of sale to prove ownership.
Contact via email at chickenscrapsblog@gmail.com , or call or text 386-three one six -4844.  Thank you!




*Wethering will be free if I use the elastrator/ banding method.  If you prefer the surgical method I can try, but I've never done it before, and will charge $10 extra.

Comments

  1. How exciting, and such cute kids. Bet there's nothing quite waking up to that...I'm so happy for you! Your diligent spirit is an inspiration to me, Alayna!

    Many blessings to you...
    Charity

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I love it when you leave comments on my posts, but they will be moderated since this is a public blog and I do not know who will be reading it. I request that only decent, ordinary English be used in comments, as I do not really understand other languages, and do not wish to read slang or strong language.

"Let no unclean communication proceed out of your mouth" Eph. 4:29

Feel free to ask questions, and I will answer them to the best of my ability, and post the questions and answers on here to be a help to others.

Thank you! I am looking forward to hearing from my readers!

Popular posts from this blog

Marvelous Seeds- Natural Dewormer for Dogs and Others

Naturally de-worming animals can be challenging, and some people will say that you are just better off going with the chemicals.  There are several problems with chemical wormers however.  You see, a chemical wormer is actually a poison, which is fed to the animal in large enough doses to kill, or expel the worms, but in small enough amounts that it hopefully will not injure the animal.  Trouble is, worms have an ability to build up resistance to the chemical poisons used in these wormers.  For example:  A few years ago, when I first started with dairy goats, I had major trouble with worms.  In fact, I lost quite a few goats to them.  I tried using the chemical wormers- SafeGuard (at 4 times the dosage for horses, for 3 days straight), and Ivermectin.  The goats' hair remained curly (a sign of a heavy worm load), and their gums and eyelids were pale.  Finally, most of them died- including three beautiful purebred, registrable Nubians.  I was heartbroken.      Several years later,

Natural cure (and prevention) for foot rot in goats and other animals

Several years ago, I began learning about the benefits of copper as a supplement.  I learned that it is actually a necessary mineral for goats, cows and sheep, and is best absorbed in sulphate form.      What prompted the research was a case of foot rot in one of my goats.  I was unaware that it was foot rot until someone diagnosed it for me over the phone.  I had noticed that his foot had been swollen for a couple days, but didn't pay much attention to it, thinking that a bug might have bitten or stung him.  After about three days from the time that I initially noticed the swelling he was limping badly.  I mentioned this to a man who was interested in buying him, and he said that it might be foot rot.  He said to check and see if it smelled bad, and that if so, it was probably foot rot.      I checked, and sure enough there was a strong putrid smell to it.  So I started researching  a natural, and speedy, cure for foot rot online.  There was very little information to be found

Doberman/ Heeler Puppies

More pictures/ info on my Border Collie website. sandspurranchbcs.weebly.com Handling/ training video below. Gorgeous Doberman mix puppies needing good homes!  Only 1 male left.  Mother is registered Doberman, sire appears to be a Red Heeler.  Though they are not of my breeding, these pups are being raised just the same way I raise my registered Border Collies, with lots of handling (especially by children), on a grain free diet, and in a natural, structured setting outdoors with lots of other animals. Please email, call or text me if you are interested in one of these pups. 352-745-3576 chickenscrapsblog@gmail.com Males:  $325 Anhalt: *Sold to Cynthia* Watchful, quiet. Brunswick: *Sold to TJ* Hanover: Available Bouncy, determined, fearless. Luxembourg: *Sold to Donna* Super friendly, loving, submissive Prussia: *Sold to Michelle* Friendly, loves attention. Saxson: *Sold to Steve* Females:  $350 Austria: *Sol